Follow this link for Nutty Oatmeal and Wholewheat Bread made without a bread machine – http://myyellowfrmhouse.com/2015/01/22/nutty-oatmeal-and-wholewheat-bread/
This is the latest recipe in my Eating Healthy series. And I’m happy to say that after only a week of ‘eating healthy’ I’m back in my jeans – and I can actually sit here and work on this post without having to unzip them. If I’m hungry, I eat. I just watch what I eat. Believe me – I have a long, long way to go weight-wise. But I’m motivated and enjoying the process.
It took me two tries to get this recipe the way I wanted it… and it was definitely worth the effort. Nutty Oatmeal & Wholewheat Bread has a delicious, nutty taste. And it’s good for you! There’s a cup of oatmeal and a cup of wholewheat flour, plus a cup of regular bread flour (because I don’t like heavy bread). I added 1 tablespoon of chia seeds, which are so very good for you – or – you could add some bran in place of the chia seeds. I also added 1/3 cup of chopped walnuts, which, like chocolate, make everything taste better. ++ This bread makes wonderful toast!
INGREDIENTS ++ According to my bread machine directions, this is the order of the ingredients as they’re put into the bread machine. Check the directions for your bread machine, just in case they differ.
- 1 cup warm water
- 2 Tbs. honey ++ Or brown sugar
- 1 1/4 tsp. salt
- 2 Tbs. butter ++ Or Olive oil
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1 cup wholewheat flour
- 1 cup bread flour ++ In the United States, bread flour is different than regular flour. In Canada, regular flour has the same qualities as bread flour. Follow your manufacturer’s directions.
- 1 Tbs. Chia seeds ++ Or wheat germ
- 2 pinches nutmeg
- 2 1/4 tsp.active dry yeast ++ I use Bread Machine yeast but regular yeast may be used
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts ++ The walnuts should be added during your machine’s ‘add’ cycle, which is part way through the kneading process. Your machine should give you a signal. If not, add the walnuts after machine has had time to knead the dough for awhile.
Set bread machine on ‘grain’ cycle. ++ Your machine’s grain cycle will allow for the bread to rise twice, which gives the bread a lighter texture. Enjoy !!
++ This step is NOT necessary but if you want a darker, crisper crust, up-end your baked bread into a 9’x 9′ square pan. Remove bread machine pan from bread. Turn bread over so crust side faces up. Place in a 400′ oven for 5 – 6 minutes.