I never realized how many times I actually ‘goof up’ while cooking…. until I started writing this blog. Example – Jessica Seinfeld recently wrote a new cookbook, and I planned to use one of her recipes as a springboard for my Skillet Chicken Dinner. All went well until I realized I’d bought skinless chicken thighs. Change of plans…… Instead of baking the Skillet Chicken Dinner in the oven, I simmered it on the stove. And, as usually happens, the results of my ‘goof’ turned into something unexpected and delicious. The potatoes had a nice, firm texture and the chicken was really tender. Big Bonus – after ‘prep’, the meal cooked in just 35 minutes!
Ingredients and Method Serves 4 – 5 Cooking Time – 35 mins.
- 4 large potatoes (or 5 medium) – sliced into 1/4′ rounds (It’s not necessary to peel the potatoes. I advise cutting off the ends of the potatoes and discarding them.)
- 1 cup water
- 1 large onion, sliced thin
- 1 Tbs. olive oil
- 10 BONELESS chicken thighs ……OR………4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts – cut in half
- 1 1/2 tsp. salt…. 1/4 tsp. pepper….1/8 tsp. paprika….1/8 tsp. garlic salt with parsley…1/2 tsp. Mrs. Dash with Garlic & Herbs… 1/8 tsp. poultry seasoning (I like Bell’s
- 1/3 cup seasoned bread crumbs….2 tsp. fresh, chopped parsley…. 2 tsp softened butter (If you chose to do the ‘extra step’ (see directions below) double the bread crumb topping.)
- 2 packages turkey gravy (I like Durkee)
- 2 tsp. seasoning and browning sauce (I like Gravy Master)
Place the sliced onion into a large skillet, making an even layer of the onion slices.
Pour 1 cup water over the onions.
Layer on the sliced potatoes. Drizzle potatoes with about 1 Tbs. olive oil
In a small bowl, mix 1 1/2 tsp. salt…. 1/4 tsp. pepper….1/8 tsp. paprika….1/8 tsp. garlic salt with parsley…1/2 tsp. Mrs. Dash with Garlic & Herbs… 1/8 tsp. poultry seasoning. Sprinkle about 1 tsp. of the spice mix over the sliced potatoes.
Add the chicken to the skillet – sprinkle with the rest of the spice mix. Cover the skillet and SIMMER for 25 minutes. (You may have to lower the heat more than once to make sure the ‘simmer’ doesn’t turn into a boil.)
After 25 minutes – turn the chicken over. Simmer for another 10 minutes. Check to make sure both the potatoes and chicken are cooked – they should be.
Remove skillet from heat. Using a large spoon, remove most of the liquid and put it into a measuring cup. Add enough water to equal the amount of liquid in your gravy package directions. (I recommend using 2 packages. I also recommend putting in 2 tsp. Gravy Master – it gives your gravy a nice rich color.)
In a small bowl mix 1/3 cup seasoned bread crumbs….2 tsp. fresh, chopped parsley & 2 tsp. softened butter. (Use a spoon to ‘smoosh’ the butter into the other ingredients.) Sprinkle the bread crumb mixture on top of the chicken.
Place the skillet under the broiler – but only if you your handle is heatproof. Otherwise I advise sliding the potatoes and chicken into a casserole. Broil briefly – just until the breadcrumbs are slightly browned – then sprinkle with a bit of fresh parsley. Enjoy!
++ Extra Step ! If you’d like both the chicken AND the potatoes to have a nice breadcrumb topping, then once the Skillet Chicken Dinner is cooked, separate the potatoes and chicken into two parts. Place chicken and potatoes side by side in a large, flat casserole Double the ingredients for the breadcrumb/butter mixture and sprinkle on top. Broil briefly – just until the breadcrumbs are slightly browned, then sprinkle with a bit of fresh parsley. Enjoy !