These potatoes can served immediately or they can be made a day ahead.
You have two choices for heating them the next day.
Potato mixture can be warmed in a slow cooker for 3 – 3 1/2 hours before serving – OR – baked in a 3 quart COVERED casserole at 350F for about an hour.
Sometimes we make a Happy Mistake, as I just did. The recipe I was adapting called for 1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese and 1/2 cup Monterey Jack cheese. But.. I put in THREE cups of cheese. Guess what? It’s tastes AWESOME – just like loaded baked potatoes.
So now you have two ways to prepare this. The original version, with one cup shredded cheese- OR – the ‘Tastes Like Loaded Baked Potatoes’ version with three cups shredded cheese! And two ways to heat the potatoes the next day!
Ingredients & Method
- 3 ½ – 4 lbs. white peeled potatoes, cut into small pieces (About 10 good-sized potatoes.) OR – 3 packages (20 oz. each) precooked, diced potatoes like “Simply Potatoes” ++ I used these for the first time and loved the convenience – no peeling… no cutting!
- 8 oz. cream cheese, softened and cut into chunks
- 1 cup (8 oz) sour cream
- ½ cup butter, softened and cut into chunks
- 1/2 cup milk
- ½ lb. bacon, cooked and crumbled ++ Reserve 2 Tbs.bacon crumbles for serving ++ I cut the bacon into pieces using kitchen shears before cooking it ; o )
- ½ cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- ½ cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese ++ I purchased a mixture of both cheeses
- ++ Add 3 cups shredded cheese for the ‘Tastes Like Loaded Baked Potatoes’ version
- 3 green onions, sliced thin ++ Use the green part as well
- 1/4 tsp. garlic salt
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 pepper
Place peeled and diced potatoes in a Dutch Oven. Cover potatoes with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer. Cook potatoes, uncovered, until tender – between 10 to 15 minutes. ++ The more well-cooked the potatoes, the less the likely-hood of having lumpy potatoes.
Drain potatoes and return to pan. Mash with cream cheese, sour cream, butter and milk. Add bacon crumbles (Reserve 2 Tbs.bacon crumbles for serving.), ½ cup shredded Cheddar cheese, ½ cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese, 3 green onions, 1/4 tsp. garlic salt, 1 tsp salt and 1/4 pepper.
++ Add a total of 3 cups shredded cheese for the ‘Tastes Just Like Baked Potatoes’ version.
If serving immediately, made sure potato mixture is heated through. Sprinkle on 2 Tbs bacon bits and serve. OR – cover and refrigerator overnight.
You have two choices for heating the potatoes the next day:
1. Potato mixture can be warmed in a slow cooker for 3 – 3 1/2 hours. Sprinkle on 2 Tbs. crumbled bacon right before serving.
2. Bake in a 3 quart COVERED casserole at 350F for about an hour – or until heated through. ++ Stir potatoes midway through cooking. Sprinkle on 2 Tbs. crumbled bacon right before serving. ++ I suggest taking the prepared potato mixture out of the fridge about an hour before reheating in the oven.
4 thoughts on “Make Ahead Loaded Mashed Potatoes – Tastes Like Loaded Baked Potatoes!”
[…] Recipe for ‘Make Ahead Loaded Mashed Potatoes’ […]
Mistake? You can never go wrong adding more cheese than is specified in the recipe, my friend. These are some “loaded” spuds and I’ll be sure to prepare them. One thing, however, that is missing from the ingredients. You failed to mention having a portable defibrillator at table-side for those enjoying their 3rd helping of these potatoes. Believe me, if I’m seated at that table, I’ll be reaching for a 3rd helping. 🙂
John – my dear friend – you crack me up… as always. Love your photo, you handsome Italian!! ; o )
[…] Make Ahead Mashed Potatoes with Sour Cream and Chives […]