UPDATE – A Reddit follower said she swapped out the black olives for (drained) marinated artichoke hearts. I LOVE that idea!!
Our summer family tradition of ‘Swim & Feast’ continued last night and my contribution was Roasted New Potatoes with Creamy Parsley Dressing. This salad is fully-loaded with crunchy shredded carrots and celery, avocado, sliced black olives and hard-boiled eggs. Most of us returned for second helpings – even the children!
The stars of this dish are the new potatoes which are roasted in the oven with red onion wedges and minced garlic. With the addition of chicken, salmon or ham etc. you’ve got yourself a great meal!
++ You don’t have to peel new potatoes – how’s that for easy?
++ This salad can be made the day before – and it can also be served warm.
INGREDIENTS & METHOD
Preheat oven to 425F Total time for baking potatoes 35 – 40 minutes
- 3 lbs. new potatoes (I used White Delights which have a firm texture.)
- 1 cup red onion, sliced thick
- 3 large cloves of garlic, minced (About 1 Tbs.)
- 3 Tbs. olive oil
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots
- 1 Tbs. chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup chopped celery (One stalk.)
- 1 can (3.8 oz.) DRAINED sliced black olives
- 6 hard boiled eggs, cut into large slices (3 of the eggs are mixed into the salad – the other 3 are placed on top of the salad.)
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 3 Tbs. chicken stock (I used “College Inn – Bold Stock) ++ You can freeze the leftover stock or use it when making scrambled eggs instead of milk or in gravy etc. etc.
- 1/2 tsp. salt – or to taste
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 3 Tbs. minced fresh parsley
- One chopped avocado – placed on top of salad right before serving. (Why? Because avocados become brown when exposed to air.)
Rinse 3 lbs. new potatoes – no need to peel. Cut into 1 1/2′ pieces. Place chopped potatoes, 1 cup sliced red onion & 1 Tbs. minced garlic in a medium size bowl. Add 3 Tbs. olive oil – mix everything together. Place onto a greased 15″ x 10″ cookie sheet, spreading out potatoes etc. to form one layer. Roast potatoes at 425 for 20 minutes.
After 20 minutes, stir potatoes and roast for 15 – 20 minutes more – or until you can pierce potatoes easily with a knife. (You don’t want to overcook them either or they won’t hold their shape in the salad.)
Place the cooked potatoes back into the medium sized bowl and add 1/2 cup shredded carrots, 1 Tbs. chopped fresh parsley, 1/2 cup chopped celery, 1 can (3.8 oz.) DRAINED sliced black olives and 3 sliced hard cooked eggs.
In a small bowl mix 3/4 cup mayonnaise, 3 Tbs. chicken stock, 1/2 tsp. salt – or to taste, 1/4 tsp. pepper and 3 Tbs. minced fresh parsley. Pour sauce into bowl containing potatoes and mix well. Top salad with the remaining 3 (sliced) hard cooked eggs & sprinkle on a bit of minced fresh parsley.
** Just Before Serving – add 1 chopped avocado to top of salad.
You can serve salad warm. OR – you can let it sit in the fridge overnight, which gives the flavors time to blend. Enjoy!