One of the great things about this recipe is you do NOT have to bake it – just pop it under the broiler to melt the cheese and brown the almonds!
Or – you can make it ahead & reheat it in the oven!
Not too long ago I made a scrumptious lasagna using ravioli – and was very happy with the the results. So I thought, “How about preparing my usual Turkey (Chicken) Tetrazzini with tortellini”?
My son M. and I prepared this dish the day after Thanksgiving, which I spent in Philadelphia. (I always ask his mother-in-law for the turkey carcass AND the glorious turkey drippings.) My daughter-in-law picked up cheese-filled tortellini, but, of course, you can use any type of tortellini you like.
I think you’ll enjoy this new twist on an old favorite. I know we did.
++ I have this recipe in a cookbook I made for my twin sons and their wives.. and that made posting this recipe a bit quicker because I could just ‘cut and paste’ the ingredients and instructions!! : o )
Ingredients and Method
++ Set oven at broil – if serving this right away – broil until shredded Parmesan is melted and and almonds are slightly browned. ++ Place oven rack so that casserole is about five inches below broiler. ++ PREHEAT BROILER !!
++ OR – put casserole in the oven at 350F until the filling is bubbling – about a half hour.
++ OR – refrigerate casserole for a day or two, allow casserole to come to room temp, then bake at 350F until filling is bubbling – may take a bit more than a half hour.
++ Casserole is baked UNCOVERED.
- 3 (9 oz.) packages refrigerated tortellini – cooked per package direction
- PREFER TO USE PASTA – 1 (16 oz.) package spaghetti or fettuccine, cooked & use HALF the sauce recipe.
- 2 cans chicken-mushroom soup, undiluted ++ OR cream of chicken soup OR mushroom soup
- 2 cups turkey or chicken stock ++ Or 2 cups boiling water and 2 bullion cubes
- 2 cup freshly grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 2 cups cooked chicken or turkey, cut into small pieces
- 1/4 – 1/3 cup slivered almonds
- 1/2 – 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese ++ My daughter in-law, who did the shopping, bought a bag of refrigerated, shredded Parmesan cheese. I usually recommend freshly grated cheese but the refrigerated cheese was very good. ; o )
- sprinkle of paprika, for color
In medium saucepan combine 2 cans chicken-mushroom soup, 2 cups chicken/turkey stock (or 2 cups boiling water and 2 bullion cubes), 2 cups freshly grated sharp cheddar cheese, 1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce, 1 1/2 tsp.salt and 1/2 tsp.pepper. Cook, stirring, over medium heat until mixture comes almost to a boil. Add 2 cups cooked turkey (or chicken) cut into small pieces. Remove pan from heat. Add cooked tortellini and mix well.
Pour mixture into a 10” x 13” casserole or pan. Sprinkle with grated Parmesan cheese, then slivered almonds and a bit of paprika, just for color.
TO SERVE IMMEDIATELY – Place casserole under broiler for about 4 minutes or until Tetrazzini is browned and bubbly. ++ Be sure to watch it. One second you have a lovely, bubbling casserole with toasted almonds… but within a few seconds you can have a disaster.
TO SERVE LATER – OR TO COOK CASSEROLE IN THE OVEN – see directions above. Enjoy!