These potatoes can served immediately or they can be made a day ahead.
You have two choices for heating them the next day.
Potato mixture can be warmed in a slow cooker for 3 – 3 1/2 hours before serving – OR – baked in a 3 quart COVERED casserole at 350F for about an hour.
Sometimes we make a Happy Mistake, as I just did. The recipe I was adapting called for 1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese and 1/2 cup Monterey Jack cheese. But.. I put in THREE cups of cheese. Guess what? It’s tastes AWESOME – just like loaded baked potatoes.
So now you have two ways to prepare this. The original version, with one cup shredded cheese- OR – the ‘Tastes Like Loaded Baked Potatoes’ version with three cups shredded cheese! And two ways to heat the potatoes the next day!
Ingredients & Method
- 3 ½ – 4 lbs. white peeled potatoes, cut into small pieces (About 10 good-sized potatoes.) OR – 3 packages (20 oz. each) precooked, diced potatoes like “Simply Potatoes” ++ I used these for the first time and loved the convenience – no peeling… no cutting!
- 8 oz. cream cheese, softened and cut into chunks
- 1 cup (8 oz) sour cream
- ½ cup butter, softened and cut into chunks
- 1/2 cup milk
- ½ lb. bacon, cooked and crumbled ++ Reserve 2 Tbs.bacon crumbles for serving ++ I cut the bacon into pieces using kitchen shears before cooking it ; o )
- ½ cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- ½ cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese ++ I purchased a mixture of both cheeses
- ++ Add 3 cups shredded cheese for the ‘Tastes Like Loaded Baked Potatoes’ version
- 3 green onions, sliced thin ++ Use the green part as well
- 1/4 tsp. garlic salt
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 pepper
Place peeled and diced potatoes in a Dutch Oven. Cover potatoes with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer. Cook potatoes, uncovered, until tender – between 10 to 15 minutes. ++ The more well-cooked the potatoes, the less the likely-hood of having lumpy potatoes.
Drain potatoes and return to pan. Mash with cream cheese, sour cream, butter and milk. Add bacon crumbles (Reserve 2 Tbs.bacon crumbles for serving.), ½ cup shredded Cheddar cheese, ½ cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese, 3 green onions, 1/4 tsp. garlic salt, 1 tsp salt and 1/4 pepper.
++ Add a total of 3 cups shredded cheese for the ‘Tastes Just Like Baked Potatoes’ version.
If serving immediately, made sure potato mixture is heated through. Sprinkle on 2 Tbs bacon bits and serve. OR – cover and refrigerator overnight.
You have two choices for heating the potatoes the next day:
1. Potato mixture can be warmed in a slow cooker for 3 – 3 1/2 hours. Sprinkle on 2 Tbs. crumbled bacon right before serving.
2. Bake in a 3 quart COVERED casserole at 350F for about an hour – or until heated through. ++ Stir potatoes midway through cooking. Sprinkle on 2 Tbs. crumbled bacon right before serving. ++ I suggest taking the prepared potato mixture out of the fridge about an hour before reheating in the oven.