I sure didn’t plan on posting another bread recipe so soon but a Reddit follower asked if Five-Star Bread could be prepared with whole wheat flour. So, I made some adjustments and added a lot of Good Stuff like honey, wheat germ (which has Vitamin A and Folic Acid) and 1/3 cup steel cut oats. (Steel cut oats are a whole grain, like wheat, rye and barley, but contain higher levels of protein than other grains – how about that?)
I love nuts so I added 1/2 cup chopped walnuts. Walnuts are actually very good for your health. Among other things, they’re are packed with omega-3 fatty acids, and contain antioxidants that boost heart health and help with stress.
++ I’m pleased to report my Reddit follower is happy with this new, healthier version of Five Star Bread. And, after enjoying some toasted Request Bread with butter and jam, I’m pretty darn pleased with it myself!
Enter the ingredients in the order written and set your bread machine for ‘grain’.
- 1 cup lukewarm water – PLUS an extra 1 Tbs. ++ If dough seems too stiff when the machine is kneading – add another tablespoon. Bread making isn’t an exact science! ; o )
- 1/3 cup lukewarm milk
- 3 Tbs. butter – softened just a bit
- 2 Tbs. honey
- 1/3 cup Steel-Cut Oats
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 cups bread flour
- 2 Tbs. wheat germ ++ There’s a new one out with honey!!
- 1 1/4 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. rapid rise (bread machine) yeast
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts OR pecans ++ To be added about 15 minutes after bread machine has started to knead the dough.