++ If you wish, this casserole can be prepared using just chicken or ham. It could also be prepared with a few cans of drained tuna !!
‘Ham, Chicken and Potato Bake’ comes together quickly thanks to the use of frozen hash brown potatoes. (I like Potatoes O’Brien hash browns because they already include red pepper and onion.) Thaw the potatoes in your microwave, allow to drain – and they’re ready to go. No cooking and no peeling!
After scattering the potatoes on the bottom of a 9′ x 13′ casserole dish, chunks of cooked chicken and ham are added, along with sweet red pepper, mushrooms and a touch of garlic. A quickly-prepared sauce is poured over all, followed by a sprinkling of three-cheese mix (Parmesan, Romano and Asiago) and some sliced almonds. Bake the casserole at 350F for about for 50 – 60 minutes and get ready for some Good Eaten’ !!
INGREDIENTS Bake in 350F oven for 50 – 60 minutes
- 1 pkg (28 oz) frozen Potatoes O’Brien – thawed — OR — 1 pkg. (32 oz.) frozen cubed hash browns – thawed
- 2 cups cooked chicken cut into bite-sized pieces ++ If you don’t happen to have cooked chicken, in a small covered skillet simmer 1 boneless chicken breast in 1/4 water or broth until fully cooked. Cut into bite-sized pieces.
- 2 cups ham, cut into bite-sized pieces = (10 oz) ham steak ++ Most hams are now water-injected…. If the ham seems ‘drippy’ place between paper towels and squeeze out some of the moisture.
- 1 small pkg. (10 oz.) cremini (or button) mushrooms, sliced ++ If there are any specs of dirt on the mushrooms, wipe with a paper towel. Do NOT wash under running water. Mushrooms are like little sponges!
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 chopped sweet red pepper
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 can condensed cream of chicken or mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 chicken bouillon cube, crumbled
- 3/4 to 1 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 1 tsp. chopped fresh parsley ++ Fresh parsley can be chopped, then frozen in a small storage bag. Simply break off what you need !!
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- a bit of parsley – to sprinkle on top
- paprika – to sprinkle on top for color
Spread thawed Potatoes O’Brien evenly on the bottom of a 9′ x 13′ casserole.
Add cooked chicken and ham pieces.
Place 1 Tbs. butter in a large skillet and cook sliced mushrooms, stirring, until mushrooms wilt. Remove mushrooms and set aside while you cook the 1/4 chopped onion and 1/4 cup chopped sweet red pepper. Cook onion and pepper until softened. Add 1 clove minced garlic. Continue to cook a minute more, until garlic softens.
Spread cooked mushrooms, onion, red pepper and garlic over ham and chicken.
Sauce – – In a medium-sized bowl mix 1 cup sour cream, 1 can condensed cream of chicken (or mushroom soup), 1 chicken bouillon cube, crumbled, 3/4 to 1 tsp. salt, 1/4 tsp. pepper, 1 tsp. chopped fresh parsley and 1 1/2 cups chicken broth until well blended. Pour over ingredients already in casserole.
Sprinkle with 2/3 cup three-cheese-blend ++ Or any mixture of Parmesan and other cheeses. Add 1/2 cup sliced almonds and a bit more chopped fresh parsley. Sprinkle with some paprika.
Bake at 350F for 50 – 60 minutes – until sauce bubbles around edges of casserole. Allow casserole to sit for 5 – 10 minutes and serve. Enjoy!!
6 thoughts on “‘A Little Help from My Friends’ Ham, Chicken and Potato Bake”
Hi Karen! I totally agree – with this super cold and super snowy winter we need lots of ‘stick to the ribs’ food. (I literally just got back from Florida… I’m gonna need a few days to adjust!)
This sounds like a great dish for all the cold weather we are having. I’ll have to look for the potatoes.
Well – thanks!! I’m using a hotel computer and I do NOT like the way the colors in the photos look … I hope it looks differently on your computer!!
Everything I love in one gorgeous dish!
You’re right ‘A’ – each casserole would feed about 8 people – so, when I have ‘a gang’, I’ll just cook two of them! ; o )
You’ve got a crowd pleaser there.