I truly wish I could include a ‘scratch ‘n sniff’ icon for this post – my house smells wonderful right now ’cause I’m simmering a mixture of spices and fruit, all of which I usually have around the house.
There’s really no directions needed. You just need some spices and fruit and several cups of water, which you’ll simmer on the stove. (You will have to replenish the water every so often – so don’t forget!)
++ After and hour or so you may want to sprinkle in a bit more of the spices and rum flavoring.
As you may know, we used to move A LOT, and because each house has it’s own smell, as soon as we’d moved in, I’d start a pan ‘brewing’ with this mix. Within a very short time the house smelled like home …our home! In fact, you’ll have people who visit asking if you’ve been baking cookies.
Here’s what I use for my Christmas/Winter Simmering Mix
++ If you include fruit – I would refrigerate the mix so you can use it again. If you only use the spices, then you can leave the pan out on your stove to use again. (I use the mixture for a few days and just add a dash more of the spices when needed.)
- 1/2 – 1 tsp. ground cinnamon (Use cinnamon sticks if you have them – 1 or 2.)
- 1/2 – 1 tsp. ground cloves – – or Allspice, or both, which is what I do
- 1/2 – 1 tsp. ground nutmeg
- This year I’ve add the following – simply because I had them….
- — 1 cut up apple
- — 1 cut up lemon (I found some rather dried-out lemons in my veggie bin!)
- — A bit of Rum Flavoring, for that good old Yuletide ‘Nog Essence!
Plus the simmering water adds some much-needed moisture to your home, which is nice during these cold, wintry months. Enjoy!!