Our summer family tradition of ‘Swim & Feast’ continued last night and my contribution was Roasted New Potatoes with Creamy Parsley Dressing. This salad is fully-loaded with crunchy shredded carrots and celery, avocado, sliced black olives and hard-boiled eggs. Most of us returned for second helpings – even the children!
The stars of this dish are the new potatoes which are roasted in the oven with red onion wedges and minced garlic. With the addition of chicken, salmon or ham etc. you’ve got yourself a great meal!
++ You don’t have to peel or boil the new potatoes – how’s that for easy?
++ This salad is best made the day before – but it can also be served warm.
INGREDIENTS & METHOD Preheat oven to 425 Total cooking time 35 – 40 minutes
- 3 lbs. new potatoes (I found some White Delights which have a firm texture.)
- 1 cup red onion, sliced thick
- 3 large cloves of garlic, minced (About 1 Tbs.)
- 3 Tbs. olive oil
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots
- 1 Tbs. chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup chopped celery (One stalk.)
- 1 can (3.8 oz.) DRAINED sliced black olives
- 6 hard boiled eggs, cut into large slices (1/2 the eggs are mixed into the salad – – other 1/2 are placed on top when serving.)
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 3 Tbs. chicken stock (I used “College Inn – Bold Stock) ++ You can freeze the leftover stock or use it when making scrambled eggs instead of milk or in gravy etc. etc.
- 1/2 tsp. salt – or to taste
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 3 Tbs. minced fresh parsley
- Arrange on top before serving – 1 chopped avocado, the remaining 3 (sliced) eggs & a bit of minced fresh parsley to sprinkle on top
Rinse 3 lbs. new potatoes – no need to peel. Cut into 1 1/2′ pieces. Place chopped potatoes, 1 cup sliced red onion & 1 Tbs. minced garlic in a medium size bowl. Add 3 Tbs. olive oil – mix everything together. Place onto a greased 15″ x 10″ cookie sheet, spreading out potatoes etc. to form one layer.
Roast potatoes at 425 for 20 minutes.
After 20 minutes, stir potatoes and roast for 15 – 20 minutes more – or until you can pierce potatoes easily with a knife. (You don’t want to overcook them either or they won’t hold their shape in the salad.)
Pour the potatoes back into the medium sized bowl and add 1/2 cup shredded carrots, 1 Tbs. chopped fresh parsley, 1/2 cup chopped celery, 1 can (3.8 oz.) DRAINED sliced black olives and THREE sliced eggs.
In a small bowl mix 3/4 cup mayonnaise, 3 Tbs. chicken stock,1/2 tsp. salt – or to taste, 1/4 tsp. pepper and 3 Tbs. minced fresh parsley.
Pour sauce into bowl containing potatoes and mix well.
You can serve the potato salad warm – or – you can let it sit in the fridge overnight, which gives the flavors time to blend. Whether you serve it hot or cold, remember to place 1 chopped avocado, the remaining 3 (sliced) eggs on top & to sprinkle on a bit of minced fresh parsley. Enjoy!